Saturday, August 22, 2009

MRI Time



Well, didn't quite anticipate that I'd be sitting in a MRI tube yesterday afternoon...but that is where I ended up. After hearing of my lovely condition (specifically it is either a bulging disc or herniated disc putting pressure on my sciatic nerve), I called around to a bunch of orthapedic doctors to see about getting a definitive diagnosis (MRI) to know what exactly I'm dealing with - with 3 weeks out of Ironman. Additionally, mom and dad are a bit concerned (as parents are), especially with dad having disc problems in his back ever since I can remember.

So, the earliest I could get in to see someone was Aug 31st...most of them were booked into late Sept! So, at my appt with Dr. Dave, I pretty much asked for the MRI referral "now", versus waiting for a week or so to see how therapy worked out. In a nutshell, if there is to be any treatment beyond Dr. Dave trying to get the inflamation down...I'd need an MRI first. So, to speed that process (IF it comes to that), I wanted that MRI in my back pocket. Time is a ticking!!!

So, ended up I got in yesterday late-afternoon and sat in that tube for about a half hour. Man is that thing noisy! At least I got headphones and could listen to some tunes. I even got a CD with all my images on to take home (see img above). Kinda cool huh? Well, I am NOT medically diagnosing myself, but there does seem to be a few little 'bulges' that could be the culprit of this sciatic numbness...but what do I know? We'll see on Monday, when I have my appt to see what the actual deal is with this stuff.

In honor of this fun injury, I ended up not going on the last 'century' ride with Noelle and Cindy (today) up to Noelle's cabin and staying home. I didn't want to push anything and risk further injury, this close to the race. In addition, I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere (a.k.a Rush City) and have to call mom and dad to come pick me and Pink Lightning up.

Instead, I am going to go out for a ride this afternoon around here...maybe 30 miles or so - and am contemplating trying to get an open water swim in this weekend too (I just hate that pool!). We'll see. Tonight there is a TCMC party that I will probably swing by for a member that is moving away. And tomorrow I plan to go out and cheer on Heidi (and Suzie) at the St. Paul triathlon!!! Heidi's gonna rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment