Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Interject More Drama...Seriously?!?!


"Thou cold sciatica, cripple our senators, that their limbs may halt as lamely as their manners.” 
                                                                                                            – William Shakespeare 1564. 

So, to keep viewers interested up until the very end of TV shows and movies, writers interject late breaking drama to their story lines. Will the hero/heroine actually overcome, said, interjected drama? Oh... you must stay tuned to find out! Whatever! Well, why would this journey of mine be any different, right? 3 1/2 weeks from IMWI, why wouldn't we want to put on a little test for our future 'IronJen'? Let's just see how tough she really is.... right? OK, let me fill you in. 

For the past week (or so) I've had some numbness (twinges) in my left leg when working out. Thought it was probably just some sort of pinched nerve or something or other. Had my massage this weekend, hoping to work it out. It doesn't 'hurt'...is just like your leg is about to fall asleep. (Not very conducive to physical activities prevalent in Ironman training, needless to say). So last night at spin, I was just not doing well. Our set just sucked for me...my leg was numb and hence I could not 'spin' very well and was just muscling through the sets with my other leg (basically). To make a long story short, I ended up in some back seizing pain by the end of the night - pointing fingers to the fact that Jen has some disc issues going on in her back. So, back in to see Dr. Dave today - just got home from said appointment. Confirming I have a disc injury causing the numbness I've been seeing and some of the lack of strength in that leg. Lovely! So...what does that mean? I'm not supposed to run (for now) and only swim and bike (non-aero) as my leg numbness permits. Plus back exercises and therapy to get that disc back into whack. If in the next few weeks things don't improve (or if they get worse), I have to go in for an MRI and see what the deal-e-o is. So...I guess my last few weeks of training here are going to be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I WILL be doing Madison...I guess I just have to leap over a few more hurdles before I get there. Gotta.Make.It! Al...most....there...

No comments:

Post a Comment