Tonight, I went out for a little ride on Pink Lightning. Am still a bit tired from this weekend's races, but wanted to just go for a light spin and loosen up the legs a bit. Well, about a little over an hour into my ride, I felt like the road got a little more rough - which seemed weird. So I slowed down and checked my wheels. (I kept my Zipp race wheels on from yesterday's race...just for practice and was lazy to change 'em)
Wheel in back was flat. Hmmph.... but this is GOOD! Good, you ask? Why would a flat tire be good? Well, I have not yet had a chance to change my new Zipp wheels myself, and this would give me a great opportunity to try it out on a non-race day. And....boy am I glad that I did!
Things that would not have been good to learn on race day when riding my Zipps (either at my next Half IM or the big daddy... IMWI):
1. My valve extender that I bought at Penn (that they said would fit 'perfectly' on 808's) is a bit short. Only sticks out about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the rim. Not ideal.
2. My CO2 cartridge that I had in my flat kit doesn't fit on my CO2 valve-thingy - no tread on the lip.
Ended up, there was a staple lodged in the tire that pierced the tube. Lovely. So, pulled out the staple and got the tire changed. Wasn't too bad. Additionally, I managed to get just enough of the valve extender to protrude from the rim and pushed just hard enough on the CO2 cartridge to pierce it and hold it just long enough to get a slow trickle of air into the tire. I think it only got to maybe about 70-80 psi (by touch)... but I only had about 3 miles to get home. So figured I'd give it a try...or else get a good walk in tonight too.
Needless to say...I think that these two items were very important things to learn on a non-race day and I believe that I will be heading to my local bike shop this week to rebuild my flat kit with the appropriate tools and materials.



No comments:
Post a Comment