Sunday, May 17, 2009

And "Crash" Was Born...


Yeah, today... a bit of excitement ensued (and not in a good way). I got up this morning and did a few hours of work before meeting up with the girls for our ride out in Buffalo. We were planning to do the Buffalo Olympic route 2X to get in ~50 miles or so. So Cindy, Noelle, Heidi, and a friend of Noelle's met and were off for the trek.
 
I had my Zipps out today, wanted to see how they felt and handled. With a little wind, I'm told they can be a bit 'catchy' and you have to know how to handle them so you don't tumble. On a few of the downhills with cross wind, I was one arm aero, one arm on handle bar/break to steady myself, which was OK... just wanted to make sure I had control. Unfortunately, it was not me that required the control today.

Just about 9-10 miles into the route we were tooling along on a flat patch. Cindy and Heidi were up front, trying to push their mph up higher in the 20's and Noelle and I were a tad further back - she was commenting on how my water bottle holder was about to fall off. Great! So, I was gonna stop and check on that...breaking and slowing down. Not a few second later, I look up and Heidi is FLYING across the road!!! Literally!

She ended up on the shoulder of the opposite side of the road along with her brand new bike. Complete and udder accident!

We hurried over to her side and she was doing OK. Huge road rash and her shoulder was very sore and she was clutching it tightly. I dialed up 911. Few minutes later we had a trooper, firefighter in his truck and the ambulance on the scene. Oh! Before they all came....another biker road right by us all and didn't even stop to see if we needed any help! 5 people with bikes all in the ditch - one girl laying in the middle of the road!?!? And not even an offer of assistance? Wtf? Some people's children!
Anyways... Heidi was loaded up by some cute parametics and taken to the ER. We all turned around and headed back to the park where our cars were parked, met up with the fireman that was wonderful enough to haul Heidi's bike back to us, and headed to meet our friend at the hospital.


In the ER, Heidi was in good spirits. We sat with her while she waited for her x-rays to come back. They came back as nothing broken...which was good. While we were waiting we named Heidi's bike for her.... "Crash"! As the thing had not officially been baptized into the triathlon world yet with a wonderful name (e.g. "Pink Lightning" (mine), "Speed Racer" (Cindy's), or "Moon Goddess" (Noelle)). So, at least we have that from today's escapades!

Cindy and Noelle drove our looped up Morphine-head friend home and did some car magic to get everyone situated with rides (thanks girls!). I had to run home fast, as Suzie was coming for my massage (much needed since the marathon) and then it was back to work for the evening. Oh what a crazy day!?!?! Hides, feel better soon! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment