Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Injury Update



Yesterday I went to see Dr. Dave and check out all my little nagging injuries that have been yelping at me, as of late. After assessing my standing, walking, running, and various other nerve tests - I got the answer(s).
 
My @ss is weak + I have a tight hip flexor. Ok...well, the explanation is more like this. I have a muscular repetitive strain injury to my glute and lower back. Since my glute is 'weak', when I'm running (repetitive motion), my body is over compensating for the weakness by my back tensing up and pulling tight. (Hence, lovely pains while running on inclines, stairs, etc). The calf...just an injury from the marathon that has yet to work itself out and heal.

{ Technical Explanation: The role of the gluteus medius during activities such as walking and running is to dynamically stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position during single leg stance. As you can see in the photo above, weakness of the right gluteus medius will cause the left hip to drop when standing on the right limb. }

So...I'm perscribed to go see Dr. Dave a few times a week to get the scar tissue in the muscle worked out and see if it can't get itself back to normal. Then I'll just have to work on strengthening that muscle and getting my run back on track. After that session with Dr. Dave, it was spinning - sans stairs (I am to avoid running inclines, stairs or track/interval training until I'm feeling better/stronger). Class was decent, but am still tired from the Half IM...it seems.

This morning was core at Jonny's house. In celebration of my lovely diagnosis from Dr. Dave - I believe Jonny structured class around Jenny's weaknesses (sorry Jim & Heidi...). Did lots of glute work, planks, abs and push ups. At least we weren't on the Bosu as much as last week. ha ha.

1 comment: