Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Century Ride of Season


Today I met up with Jen M. and Val to go on the Minnesota Tri Club's century ride. We decided to meet an hour prior to the official start of the ride to get a head start on things and get this thing done with. So, at 6:30 AM, I met up with those two and we headed out on the route. Was a 50 mile out-and-back route with rest stops every 20 miles.
 
For some reason, I had a rough first 50 miles. I think my run yesterday (darn calf!) attributed to some of it, as I was just dogging it up hills - felt like I could not MOVE! Val and Jen were just kicking my butt... so I just hung back a bit and caught up to them at the rest stops vs. trying to pedal like a mad woman to try to catch those two. At the 50 mile turn around, Val had gotten a flat. I caught up with those guys and giggled as they attempted to get the wheel back on - there were some chain issues. Val did get that tire changed in no time flat, however! What a pro!


Then we were back on our way. At this point I was feeling just fine on the bike and keeping pace with those guys pretty decently. The entire ride back we all hung pretty close. I think maybe my calf just needed some 'warm up' time or something - as I felt 200% better on the last half of the ride. We ran into some rain on the ride home, but nothing too bad. (Not like Buffalo!)

At the end of the ride we took a look at our times, and were quite amazed. Ride time (on bike) was 5:36 (average 17.8 mph). Total time: 6:41 (including 4 rest stops and a flat). We had to call Jonny when we got back to the car to tell him the good news. Felt really good after the ride....legs were fine (actually, my limp went away - so wierd!). Am super glad I got this first century ride out of the way and it went so well...I have plenty of these this summer to look forward to.

When I got home, I took a small nap in the afternoon, before doing some work around the house and heading up to see dad in C-town for Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment