Thursday, September 10, 2009

Heading Out to Madison!!!





Well, yesterday had a few minor melt downs while sitting at the house - packing, thinking, stewing, etc. I made a physical checklist for my bike and for on the run (printed out and taped up with packing tape for water-proofing), so when my mental capacity starts to falter out there - I can pull these cards out and have a contingency plan to feed my mind with the key rules that I'm following for the day (e.g. If you get weepy or sad - EAT!!! Your body is telling you it needs fuel!) and all of the positive thoughts that I am sure that I will be faltering to remember in the midst of this long day.

 
In addition I made on the back a little 'playlist' of all my favorite training songs that I can sing to myself...otherwise I will be singing the same Lady Gaga song to myself for double-digit hours. I wish that iPods were legal!!! But...that would make me break one of my rules: Enjoy this day and take it all in - every second. This day is technically my "Super Bowl" (to put in a football reference since that season starts on Sunday too)...capping off the season that I've been working very hard for. I want to be able to take in all of the volunteers and fans that are going to be out there, the scenery, the athletes, and all of the excitement that this event brings. It is totally indescribable unless you've been out there to experience it. There will be 2500 others out on the course with me on Sunday, going through the same thing that I will be - and I want to take that all in.

So, after lunch here - I will be packing up the truck so Jake and I will be heading out of town when he gets off from work. Man there is a lot of stuff that needs to go with us! We should be getting into Madison tonight - just to unpack at the hotel room and probably crash. Tomorrow morning I plan to swim (on the course) and get a little warm up out there, then I do the athlete check-in process and may then have to check out the Ironman merchandise shop (retail therapy has been prevalent this past month for Jen).

I'll post an update tomorrow on the day's activities out there. Goal is to leave Andover with a strong and positive attitude and enter Madison ready to enjoy the weekend (no stressing!!!). Yeah right!

No comments:

Post a Comment